Paleo Coconut Collagen Pancakes
I've tried a lot of paleo pancakes in my day. Most of them are flat, too eggy or don't hold together well. These, on the other hand, are absolutely perfect - fluffy, soft and taste like REAL pancakes. Unlike traditional pancakes that are packed with sugar, flour and vegetable oil, these pancakes are loaded with healthy, nutrient-dense foods that keep you full and energized throughout the morning. The combination of healthy fats (coconut and almond butter) and protein (eggs and collagen peptides) is incredibly nourishing, helps to signal to your body that you are full and keeps your blood sugar running steady (no crashes here!). Best of all, they are totally non-paleo boyfriend approved!
PALEO / GLUTEN-FREE / DAIRY-FREE / KETO
- 3 eggs (preferably pasture-raised)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/8 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted (I used Trader Joe's brand)
- 2 scoops collagen peptides
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- More coconut oil for cooking
Coconut Almond Butter Sauce:
- 1 heaping Tbs coconut butter
- 1 heaping Tbs runny almond butter
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Make the coconut almond butter sauce by combining coconut butter, almond butter and coconut oil in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwaving for 20-25 seconds to slightly melt. Add the cinnamon and vanilla, mix and set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a medium mixing bowl and mix. Add the coconut oil, almond milk and vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
- Add the coconut flour and collagen peptides and mix until smooth.
- Add the baking soda and salt and mix lightly. Over-mixing will cause the pancakes to be less fluffy!
- Melt coconut oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- When hot, spoon the batter into the skillet in circles (I got 6). The batter will be more thick than normal pancake batter and there will be some clumps - this is ok!
- Flip the pancakes when they are browned on the bottom and cook until done.
- Transfer to a plate and top with the coconut almond sauce and berries.